Understanding political and military strategy, including issues like the cause of the war between and within states, military force and efficacy, intelligence, diplomacy, and deterrence, is a prime goal of the field of defense and strategic studies. In a complex world, these topics are crucial for understanding international politics and security. It places a strong emphasis on a variety of methodological techniques from the disciplines of military science, political science, international relations, economics, history, anthropology, and sociology to frame and evaluate challenges of national and global security.
Scope of Defense and strategic studies
Students of defense and strategic studies are prepared for a wide range of employment in academic, public, corporate, and non-profit organizations. Although this degree is aimed towards students interested in research and teaching professions, it is also intended to broaden the career opportunities of professionals working in the domains of development, mass media, and military and security policy. With a degree in defense and strategic studies, you can lead exciting careers in the Pakistani Armed Forces, the Civil Service (especially the Foreign Service), international organizations like the UN and its agencies, print and electronic media, non-governmental organizations (NGOs), public and private think tanks such as the ISSI, IRS, IPRI, IPS, ISSR, as well as educational and research institutions,
Nature of work
- Provide research, briefings, and assessments of the strategic capabilities, intents, and decision-making of foreign national security organizations to military commanders and policymakers.
- they design and oversee large, complex security information systems and utilizing their IT expertise while providing technical support.
- Covert intelligence gathering with the goal of gathering data about terror strikes.
- Research areas like geopolitical, geostrategic, socioeconomic, and tactical aspects of warfare.
- Creating and publishing books with funds from the government and the ugc, as well as articles and blogs
How to become a specialist in Defense and strategic studies
An intermediate-level student from any stream may pursue a degree defence and strategic studies. Universities offer this program under various names such as strategic studies and defense and diplomatic studies but the course is more or less similar. Holders of bachelor’s degrees have the option of continuing their education through master’s and doctorate degree programs. Some go abroad for advance training to get more exposure.
Top university offering in Pakistan:
- National Defense University
- Bahauddin Zakariya University, Multan
- The Islamia University Of Bahawalpur
- Quaid-e-azam University
For details on institutes offering Defence and strategic studies, visit
- Strategic thinking
- Data analysis
- Critical thinking
- Quantitative and qualitative research
- Detail oriented
Job Prospects & Career Options
These are the most popular fields that you can join after having a degree in this field
- Armed forces
- Civil services
- Public as well as private sector research organizations,
- Print and broadcast media
- Lecturer or professor
- Ministry of Defence