Government and Public policy is best described as the broad area of government laws, regulations, court decisions, and local ordinances. The field of public policy is concerned with formulating laws and regulations that are intended to serve the public good. Policies facilitate the systematic operation of people in authority. Policymakers conduct significant research on a variety of issues and subjects before developing plans and strategies to address them. In-depth studies of sociology, economics, political science, and other subjects are done in conjunction with the study of public policy.
In general, public policy refers to what the government or an organization decides to do or not do. Government decides whether to take action or not in order to solve a situation. They frequently deal with a number of interconnected, persistent issues rather than just one. Governments can get guidance from public policy, and citizens can hold governments accountable. Government has an impact on every part of our life. The public policies implemented by the federal, state, and local governments affect everyone.
Scope of government and public policy
With a degree in public policy, one is equipped to work in a wide range of government and private organizations as well as many other fields where the major goal is to collect cutting-edge ideas and turn them into practical solutions that benefit the entire nation and its citizens.
Public Policy makes Understanding the difficulties the state and its citizens face easier. For the students, pursuing a career in public policy provides up a wide range of opportunities in fields like research and development, education, work for non-governmental organizations and independent research centers, among others. The public policy’s reach is growing and goes beyond what was mentioned above.
Nature of work
- Analyze community problems and influence lawmaking at the local, state, and federal levels.
- Establishing and executing rules on significant issues that have an impact on the firm, such as diversity in recruiting procedures or environmental sustainability
- Providing testimony or creating papers like briefs or motions to represent the firm in court
- Creating and implementing initiatives that enhance community well-being through education or recreation
- Assessing current regulations to see if they are efficient or require modification
- Researching public policy problems that have an impact on how the organization operates
- Interacting with public officials to establish relationships and get project approvals
- Creating legislation that would be advantageous to the organization
- Collaborating with other organizations to create and carry out public policy projects
- Creating public policy initiative budgets based on anticipated results and available funding
How to become a specialist in government and public policy
An intermediate-level student from any stream may pursue a degree in international relations. This program is offered under various names such as public policy and governance, government and public policy or just public policy but the course is more or less similar. Holders of bachelor’s degrees have the option of continuing their education through master’s and doctorate degree programs. Public policy analysts often need a Master’s degree. You can choose the field you want to concentrate on after reviewing your many career options, then look for internships in that industry.
A solid understanding of a specialized subject, like healthcare or energy, is frequently necessary for careers in public policy. By selecting a degree emphasis or by enhancing your degree with electives or a minor, you can get ready for these specialized roles. Graduates with a degree in public administration or policy are prepared for a variety of positions in the governmental, corporate, and nonprofit sectors. Overall, graduates of public policy programs can also prepare for careers in industries like marketing, financial management, and human resources management by mastering essential business skills.
Top university offering in Pakistan:
- National Defense University
- Bahauddin Zakariya University, Multan
- University of Karachi
- Abdul Wali Khan University, Mardan
For details on institutes offering government and public policy, visit
- Data analysis
- Critical thinking
- Quantitative and qualitative research
- Detail oriented
- Strategic thinking
Job Prospects & Career Options
These are the most popular fields that you can join after having a degree in this field
- Market Research Analyst
- Public Policy Director
- Political Scientist
- Public Servant
- Lecturer of Public Administration or Public Policy
- Policy Analyst
- Administrator of Any Department or Organization
- Executives of Corporate Sector
- NGO Activist
- Public Affairs Specialist
- Anchor Person
- Media Person
- Public Relations Specialist