An anaesthesia technician is an allied healthcare professional. The word anesthesia (also known as anaesthesia) is derived from two Greek words – “an” that means “without” and esthesis means “sensation”. Their main task is to assist Doctors/Surgeons during surgery, by administering appropriate dose of anaesthesia and operating anaesthesia equipment whenever required. Anesthesia technicians work in operating theatres and clinics, and are responsible for the cleanliness, accuracy, and delivery of equipment used during the anesthesia process.
Scope of Anesthetic technician
Due to the growth phase in the healthcare sector and increased number of private and public hospitals, the demand for allied healthcare professionals is on the rise these days. Anesthesia technologists provide services and work in many different types of facilities and ICUs, Emergency departments, surgery wards and Operation theatres are the common places in which they are expected to function. They usually work in a team comprising of surgeons, nurses and other staff.
Responsibilities and work
An anesthetic technician has to perform the following responsibilities.
- Ensuring the order and accuracy of the equipment and machines used during the anesthesia process and the supply of medicines and equipment used during the anesthesia process.
- Takes care of anaesthesia supply and stock, equipment setup, pre and post surgery anaesthetic administering as well as patient monitoring and care.
- Assist the anesthesiologist in applying the airway and drip during the anesthesia procedure and to monitor the patient before and after the procedure and to monitor all vital signs Is understood.
- Get complete information about the patient’s illness and possible treatment.
- He is obliged to keep all his medical records in proper order before and after the surgery.
- In case of any emergency, he acts as an anaesthetist.
Job Market and opportunities
- Health department and centers
- Military departments
- Medical universities or schools
- Outpatient care center
- Special schools
- Offices of physicians.
How to become an Anaesthetic technician
In Pakistan, Diploma as well as Bachelors Degree course is available, when it comes to anaesthesia technology studies.
|Matric or intermediate with biology
|Intermediate with biology, 50% marks
- King Edward medical university
- University of Azad Jammu and Kashmir
- Northwest institute of health sciences
- School of health sciences
- Shaheed Zulfiqar Ali Bhutto Medical University, Pims
For more details on institutes offering bachelors program in Anaesthesia technician, visit
For more details on institutes offering diploma in Anaesthesia technician, visit
Individuals who want to pursue a career as an anaesthetic technician must have the following qualities.
- Organized and diligent
- Be able to communicate well with people and keep an eye on all general and partial details.
- Coordination and persuasive skills
- Keen eye for detail
- Have excellent problem solving
- Ability to work well under pressure.
- Have technical and computer skills.